Re: "final" proposal for Latin-0

From: Alain LaBont\i SCT (alb@riq.qc.ca)
Date: Fri Jul 11 1997 - 09:59:44 EDT

A 16:29 09/07/97 -0400, Hart, Edwin F. a écrit :
>Dear Alain,
>
>Can you please tell me the code positions to be used in Latin-0 for the
>Euro, 3 French characters, and 4 Finnish characters (and repeat it for
>the various lists). My problem is that I saw so much discussion, I have
>no idea what the final final proposal was and I would suspect that
>others are as confused as I am.
>
>I must congratulate you on getting the documentation and everything
>together so quickly and for getting approval in SC 2.
>
>I hope that you can enjoy your vacation at this point. : )
>
>Best regards,
>Ed

[Alain] :

Thanks for the good words. I hope I will be able to completely disconnect
during my vacation. I receive around 80 messages a day on the Internet,
it's a bit stressful. It was nice to see you again.

The proposal to be balloted for CD Registration is the following:
In order to maintain maximum compatibility with the existing world, a
maximum number of Latin 1 characters should be used as the model for this
new table (the most used table to currently support French partly and
Finnish partly). The following characters have been identified as having no
or very little use in ISO/IEC 8859-1:

10/06 BROKEN BAR
10/08 DIAERESIS (standalone, spacing character)
11/01 PLUS-MINUS SIGN (SIGNE PLUS-OU-MOINS)
11/04 ACUTE ACCENT (standalone, spacing character)
11/08 CEDILLA (standalone, spacing character)
11/12 VULGAR FRACTION ONE QUARTER
11/13 VULGAR FRACTION ONE HALF
11/14 VULGAR FRACTION THREE QUARTERS

These characters should be replaced, in order, by

10/06 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER S WITH CARON (LETTRE MAJUSCULE LATINE S CARON)
10/08 LATIN SMALL LETTER S WITH CARON (LETTRE MINUSCULE LATINE S CARON)
11/01 EURO SIGN (SYMBOLE EURO)
11/04 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Z WITH CARON (LETTRE MAJUSCULE LATINE Z CARON)
11/08 LATIN SMALL LETTER Z WITH CARON (LETTRE MINUSCULE LATINE Z CARON)
11/12 LATIN CAPITAL LIGATURE OE (DIGRAMME SOUDÉ MAJUSCULE LATIN OE)
11/13 LATIN SMALL LIGATURE OE (DIGRAMME SOUDÉ MINUSCULE LATIN OE)
11/14 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER Y WITH DIAERESIS (LETTRE MAJUSCULE LATINE Y
                                                                 TRÉMA)
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Alain LaBonté
Zürich Airport (on my way home during a 4-hour stop)