Re: Inconsistency in ISO 8859-1/8 tables

From: Vincent DelGobbo (sasvcd@unx.sas.com)
Date: Fri Jul 11 1997 - 12:43:33 EDT

> PS: I ran into this while proof-reading Kosta Kostis' new character
> set test pages on
>
> http://www.kostis.net/charsets/
>
> with Netscape Communicator 4.0 under Windows NT. It turned
> out that Netscape/NT now can display all Unicode characters that are
> part of ISO 8859 except those that start with ARABIC or HEBREW. It
> can also display all characters of CP437, CP850, CP1252, KOI-8, and
> quite some more.

I was able to use Netscape 4.01 to display the Hebrew characters in

  http://www.kostis.net/charsets/cp1255.html
  http://www.kostis.net/charsets/iso8859.8.html

The key to getting the characters to display was to use the
font Lucida Sans Unicode as the font associated with the
Unicode encoding (do this through the Appearance:Font Preferences).

I still did not have any luck displaying the Arabic characters in

  http://www.kostis.net/charsets/cp1256.html
  http://www.kostis.net/charsets/iso8859.6.html

presumably because the font does not support Arabic (I'm guessing).

Finally, a note from http://home.netscape.com/eng/intl/relnotes/crelnotesFinalWin.html
states:

     Unicode support includes Western, Eastern European, Cyrillic, Greek, Chinese, Korean,
     Japanese, and Turkish. It does not include bi-directional and complex-ligature languages.

I thought Hebrew was "bidirectional".

Vince
sasvcd@unx.sas.com