Re: Inconsistency in ISO 8859-1/8 tables

From: Vincent DelGobbo (
Date: Fri Jul 11 1997 - 12:43:33 EDT

> PS: I ran into this while proof-reading Kosta Kostis' new character
> set test pages on
> with Netscape Communicator 4.0 under Windows NT. It turned
> out that Netscape/NT now can display all Unicode characters that are
> part of ISO 8859 except those that start with ARABIC or HEBREW. It
> can also display all characters of CP437, CP850, CP1252, KOI-8, and
> quite some more.

I was able to use Netscape 4.01 to display the Hebrew characters in

The key to getting the characters to display was to use the
font Lucida Sans Unicode as the font associated with the
Unicode encoding (do this through the Appearance:Font Preferences).

I still did not have any luck displaying the Arabic characters in

presumably because the font does not support Arabic (I'm guessing).

Finally, a note from

     Unicode support includes Western, Eastern European, Cyrillic, Greek, Chinese, Korean,
     Japanese, and Turkish. It does not include bi-directional and complex-ligature languages.

I thought Hebrew was "bidirectional".