Case blind comparison

From: Gary Roberts (gar@sparc.SanDiegoCA.NCR.COM)
Date: Tue Jul 29 1997 - 15:44:40 EDT

In The Unicode Standard, Version 2.0, section 4.1, it states that
"Because there are many more lowercase forms than there are uppercase
or titlecase, it is recommended that the lowercase form be used for
normalization, such as when strings are case-folded for loose
comparison or indexing." It appears to me that the uppercase version
should be used for exactly that reason. Can anyone explain to
me the advantage of mapping to lower case in general?

I thought I would map the Georgian upper case characters to lower
case, as the upper case form is archaic.

Finally, I am tempted to map U+0130 (LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I WITH DOT
ABOVE) to U+0049 (LATIN CAPITAL LETTER I), on the theory that the Turks
would be happier (since I already plan to map i to I), and nobody else
would mind).

Does anyone have any comments?

                                *