Re: Case blind comparison

From: Mark Davis (mark_davis@taligent.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 1997 - 20:50:43 EDT

If you really only have the routines toUpper() and toLower(), and you
are trying to do a caseless comparison, then you have to use:

normalForm = toUpper(toLower(source)); // or toLower(toUpper(source));

This takes account of all of the characters that have many-to-one case
mappings, whether they be uppercase or lowercase (it is not just limited
to es-zed).

You can also use the information in the Unicode character database to
generate a more efficient version of the above method.

Mark