Re: Unicode font for Mac?

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Tue Aug 19 1997 - 12:00:36 EDT

On 8/15/97 12:48 PM, Vincent DelGobbo (sasvcd@unx.sas.com) wrote:

>Can someone tell me where I can download a Unicode
>font for the Mac? Shareware/freeware preferred.

I'm not sure what you mean.

First of all, be aware that direct Unicode rendering on the Macintosh is
available right now only through QuickDraw GX, and most GX-savvy apps
don't happen to use it for Unicode.

Secondly, there is Unicode rendering support through Apple's Macintosh
Runtime for Java (MRJ), but it requires language kits be installed.

Thirdly, we will be releasing the Unicode Imaging Services in early 1998,
which will allow direct Unicode drawing without QuickDraw GX, but, again,
applications will have to be rewritten to take advantage of it.

In any event, all the fonts distributed by Apple (with one or two
exceptions) can be used to draw Unicode directly.

If what you want is a single font that covers all of Unicode, Bitstream's
Cyberbit is about the best available for free. It's actually a Windows
font but can be converted to Macintosh using TrueConverter, a freeware
application.

=====
John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com