RE: Communicator Unicode

From: Murray Sargent (murrays@microsoft.com)
Date: Thu Sep 25 1997 - 15:44:53 EDT

It's disturbing to think that people may use more than one charset in an
HTML document. We went this route with RTF, since Unicode wasn't
available back then to solve the multilingual problem. HTML has grown
up in a new world in which Unicode is clearly the best way to represent
multilingual documents. Hence for such documents (and others), all you
need is UTF8. The HTML standards committees should resist allowing
charset atttibutes to be specified at a granularity finer than the body
and browsers should fail to display such documents correctly, since even
if the spec says no, lax browsers may establish the practice anyhow.

Murray