Definitions (Was: Re: Charsets + encoding + codesets)

From: John Clews (10646er@sesame.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 09 1997 - 07:25:15 EDT

John Cowan (http://www.ccil.org/~cowan cowan@ccil.org) wrote:

> No, that won't work. We need a term for the underlying abstraction
> that can be represented either by a single (concrete) character
> or by a composite sequence. Ken Whistler has used the
> term "grapheme" (starting today). This term, AFAIK, is
> always collocated with "phoneme" and is used in discussions of
> text-to-speech conversion, speech-to-text conversion, and
> learning to read (which is a kind of text-to-speech conversion).
> Still, terminological buccaneering may be useful.

John Clews writes:

Why not do, as ISO/IEC 10646 (and all ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC2 standards) do,
or at worst imply, and use the term "character" for those elements
which can be related to a single code point, and "graphic character"
for that class of characters which can be related to more than one
code point, using any permitted combining options?

See the definitions section of ISO/IEC 10646 and/or other standards
from ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC2 for further details, and/or my own email of a
couple of days ago to the Unicode list.

Best wishes

John Clews

--
John Clews (Chair of ISO/TC46/SC2: Conversion of Written Languages)

SESAME Computer Projects, 8 Avenue Road, Harrogate, HG2 7PG, England Email: Converse@sesame.demon.co.uk; tel: +44 (0) 1423 888 432