Re: Euro currency sign

From: Alain La Bonté - ordi3dgsig (alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca)
Date: Thu Oct 16 1997 - 09:13:37 EDT

A 15:56 97-10-15 -0700, Mark Davis a écrit :
id PAA15092

>Alain,
>
>Are you also going to be producing clones of all the other 8859-x
>standards with the Euro substituted?

"You" is an issue (: in itself. But it would be logical that once that
Latin 0 will have been adopted with a fixed posituion for teh EURO SIGN,
that it would become imperative for other ISO/IEC 8859 parts required for
Europe (Greek at least, plus Latin 2) to change in the same way (for one
character, hopefully sharing the same "replacement").

I guess the same interchange logic applies: to communicate the EURO SIGN
freely from IBM (and PCM) mainframes or Windows (at levels less than NT,
even for Win 98 aparently) to UNICODE via an ISO 8-bit code, this appears
to be required, imho.

The new convenor of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2/WG3, Mr. Melagrakis, had some
interesting words at the Heraklion meeting: "We thought that 8-bit-code
standards activities would be very quiet from now on, but it seems that
we'll have a burst of activity and renewed interest due to the EURO
implementation". He is right, I believe. That said, everybody hopes that
UNICODE will be implemented in harmony with all this, as fast and at the
same time as smoothly as possible.
Disharmony might be a stalling element. This correction of 8-bit parts is
an easing element, always imho. Mainframes aren't going to vanish overnight (;

Alain LaBonté
Québec