Euro

From: Carrasco Benitez Manuel (manuel.carrasco@emea.eudra.org)
Date: Tue Oct 21 1997 - 05:01:49 EDT

>>There is some kind of confussion. In the book "The Unicode
>>Standard, Version 2.0" is the following:
>>
>> 20A0 CE EURO-CURRENCY SIGN
>>
>>in the glyph CE the characters are interlaced and the E is lower.
>>I do *not* want to add any character, just Unicode to indicate that
>>the correct glyph is the "E" with the parallel middle "=" (have a look
>>to http://europa.eu.int/euro.html).
>
>The Unicode Technical Committee and ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2/WG2 and the
European
>Commission disagree with you. EURO-CURRENCY SIGN is ECU and EURO SIGN
is
>Euro.

So we would have:

 20A0 EURO-CURRENCY SIGN for the ECU
 20AC EURO SIGN for the EURO

Perfect for confussion.

>They are different currencies. Implementors may have used U+20A0 for
ECU,
>then their data will be compromised if we reuse that position for a
>different currency.

Could somebody find *one* implementor that is using 20A0 for the ECU ?
If such an implementor exist, how did he manage to guess that 20A0
is the ECU ?

>The Commission supports U+20AC, whatever is written down at that site.

 http://europa.eu.int/euro/

is *the* official line of the Commission.

>>>Your proposal to modify ASCII is not acceptable to anyone.
>>
>>Formally and following Larry posting, I propose *defining a new*
>>character set. Not *re-defining* ASCII. User will chose whatever
>>character set they wish. I assume that the one that need the EURO in
7
>>and 8 bits will choose the new one. I belive this is the easiest and
>>cheapest way to do it.
>
>If the Commission supports a 7-bit registration in ISO 2375, it would
be
>quite simple to forward them such a registration. Kenneth Thompson in
>DGIII/B is the contact person we have with the Commission on these
issues.

Note taken.

>>>Your proposal to replace the VERTICAL BAR in Latin 1 will have no
>>>support from anyone anywhere, I think. However, a new part of 8859
>>>has been proposed in SC2/WG3 which will contain the EURO SIGN in
either
>>>the position of the PLUS-MINUS sign or the CURRENCY SIGN (it seems to
be
>>>controversial and hopefully will be resolved by the current ballot
>>>on the CD.
>>
>>This not solve the 7 bits problem.
>
>7-bit environments do not use 8859. You will have to have a mapping
table
>to Latin 0, just as you will have to have a mapping table for 10646.

My proposition has formally two charsets: one for 7 bits and one for 8
bits.

>>>I forgot to mention that the TC304 Euro Workshop did agree that an
HTML
>>>entity would be useful, but thought that it might be nice if it were
>>>&EUR; instead of € as this is shorter and mnemonic to the
3-letter
>>>currency code.
>>
>>I do not mind one way or another. I take note and I if there is no
>>major negative feedback, I will change the document accordingly.
>
>The feedback has been that € is best.

&EUR; or € ?

Regards
Tomas