Re: ECU and euro - both exist

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Fri Oct 24 1997 - 08:31:23 EDT

Ar 12:13 -0700 1997-10-22, scríobh Lazaros.TOSSOUNIDIS@DI.cec.be:
>Sir may I add,that the ECU you are reffering to has unfortunately been
>registered as "EURO-CURRENCY SIGN" which is definately very misleading.
>Specially now that the "Euro" is to be introduced (both in Unicode and ISO
>10646). We have asked the corresponding bodies to foresee to change
>this name via the usual practice in the standardisation field i.e.
>by amendment.
>Lazaros TOSSOUNIDIS
>European Commission
>IT Department

Lazare,

It cannot be allowed to change the name of the EURO-CURRENCY SIGN, but I
have requested that Unicode add an informative note specifying that this
refers to the ECU in their next version, and I have asked Þorgeir
Sigurðsson to forward a request for such annotation to the character name
to be put into ISO/IEC 10646 Annex Q.

--
Michael Everson, Everson Gunn Teoranta
15 Port Chaeimhghein Íochtarach; Baile Átha Cliath 2; Éire (Ireland)