Re: Etruscan

From: Martin J. Dürst (mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch)
Date: Tue Nov 04 1997 - 06:07:44 EST

On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Mark Leisher wrote:

> Start with the user selected directionality for Etruscan, determine the
> line wrap point, add the appropriate directional markup at the beginning
> and end of the line segment, change to the opposite direction, and do it
> all over again until the whole line is rendered.
>
> Line separators are simply a signal to change to the opposite
> directionality, and multiple line and paragraph separators cause a reset
> to the original user-specified directionality.

Mark - What you are assuming is that either the line-wrapping is
known beforehand (fixed formatting), or when formatting for viewing,
you have separate linebreaking and one-line bidi machinery, and you
are interested in how to tell the one-line bidi machinery where to
change directions. Then your proposal works nicely, and may be a good
solution to implement bustrophedon.

But what I and John were speaking about is whether there is a way
to put directional controls into a plain text so that it displays
bustrophedon on all possible linebreaks (there obviously isn't),
and whether this is needed for plain text.

Regards, Martin.