Re: Revised ISO 2022 explanation

From: Werner Lemberg (sx0005@sx2.hrz.uni-dortmund.de)
Date: Sat Nov 08 1997 - 12:30:41 EST

On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, John H. Jenkins wrote:

> On 11/8/97 3:38 AM, Werner Lemberg (sx0005@sx2.hrz.uni-dortmund.de) wrote:

> If I understand Michael's point, he's saying that if you want to get the
> kind of "linguistically exact information on CJK" you want, you just need
> to specify the column you're using, G, T, J, K, or V. This *still*
> doesn't buy you all of CNS, because too much of CNS is unifiable from the
> IRG's perspective -- but frankly, you could use the user zone or user
> planes to hold any bits and pieces of CNS that were vital for you to use.

I see. But why should I use private Unicode zone if I have something
official (i.e. an ISO registered charset plus ISO 2022) together with an
editor (emacs) which supports that? IMHO the better solution for the
moment is to stay with ISO 2022.

You can argue that not everbody has emacs. I can argue that not everyone
has a Unicode capable editor supporting CJK input methods -- and emacs is
freely available :-)

    Werner