Re: ISOs

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Nov 10 1997 - 16:03:14 EST

Mr. Tuttle,

Several people on the list have responded assuming
you are referring to the ISO country and language
codes per se. If so, then you can follow their
advice and check out the ISO 639 and ISO 3166
standards.

If, however, what you are talking about is what
languages/countries are covered by various ISO
character encoding standards, then the best source
is the revised ISO standards themselves. Each contains
a summary of the languages intended to be covered
by each part of ISO 8859, if that is what you
mean by "ISO codes."

By area, the intended coverage is:

ISO 8859-1 (Latin-1) Western Europe
ISO 8859-2 (Latin-2) Eastern Europe
ISO 8859-3 (Latin-3) Turkey (deprecated)
ISO 8859-4 (Latin-4) Northern Europe
ISO 8859-5 Cyrillic
ISO 8859-6 Arabic
ISO 8859-7 Greek
ISO 8859-8 Hebrew
ISO 8859-9 (Latin-5) Turkey
ISO 8859-10 (Latin-6) Baltic Rim
ISO 8859-11 Thai (suspended)
ISO 8859-12 Devanagari (suspended)
ISO 8859-13 (Latin-7) Baltic
ISO 8859-14 (Latin-8) Celtic
ISO 8859-15 ("Latin-0") Western Europe

Not all of these have been formally approved and published
yet.

To get the formal list of languages intended for coverage,
get a copy of one of the standards themselves, or perhaps
someone else on this list would like to post a summary or
a pointer.

Of course, ISO/IEC 10646 (Unicode) is intended to cover *all* of
the languages and countries of the world.

--Ken