Re: AW: Greek/Etruscan/Gothic Unification Proposal

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Thu Nov 20 1997 - 13:17:12 EST

Ar 10:52 -0800 1997-11-20, scríobh Mark Davis:
>That is a bit stronger than the point I was making, which is not whether they
>would find it 'acceptable'--that is a bit hard to quantify, since aesthetic
>considerations could enter, but whether they would find it legible. In this
>case, for example, would a Coptic (non-Greek) reader be able to make out the
>text if the characters were in a Greek font, and vice versa?

Coptic presented in a normal Greek font is completely illegible. Coptic is
never presented in anything but its normal form (unless transliterated),
with nice fat thick Coptic fonts.

Greek readers can puzzle out the Greek words in Coptic texts but never just
at a glance.

Greek and Coptic should never have been unified.

--
Michael Everson, EGT * http://www.indigo.ie/egt
15 Port Chaeimhghein Íochtarach; Baile Átha Cliath 2; Éire (Ireland)