Re: Curiouser and curiouser

From: John Cowan (
Date: Mon Nov 24 1997 - 10:54:48 EST

Michael Everson wrote:
>Ar 09:03 -0800 1997-11-21, scríobh John H. Jenkins:
>>So then, the *real* (and doubtless unanswerable) question is: If Greek
>>were ever to be written RTL for any reason in today's world, would people
>>expect it to have its glyphs reversed or not?
>If you look at Carroll's, you'll find an answer to this question for Latin.
>I mean't Carroll's _Through the Looking-Glass_, of course.

I can't agree. The mirrored version of "Jabberwocky" printed there
is RTL because it is mirrored, not mirrored because it is RTL.
A Greek translation would also be mirrored, and a fortiori RTL;
a Hebrew translation would still be mirrored, and a fortiori LTR.

(I doubt that there is a full translation of _TTLG_ into any
language, but would be happy to learn otherwise.)

John Cowan
			e'osai ko sarji la lojban