Re: Endless endianness annoyance

From: Tony Harminc (tzha0@juts.ccc.amdahl.com)
Date: Wed Dec 10 1997 - 18:11:59 EST

On 10 Dec 97 at 14:44, John Tsolometes wrote:

> Why is little endiannism a disease ?
> I thought that it is better for asm decoding.
> That big endianism had is harder to code by hand.
> Please tell me your thoughts.
> I'm not sure what the benefits of big are,
> Enquiring Minds Want To Know[tm].:)

Well... this isn't really the place to get into this, and I'm sure
you noticed my U+263A at the end, but briefly:

Many programmers find little endianism bizarre and irrational,
because it addresses bits, bytes, and words differently. There are
certain hardware advantages to little endianism, but these apply
essentially to small simple processors, such as PC CPUs once were.
But it really doesn't matter - it would just be nice if everything
was the same.

Tony Harminc