Re: UTF-2 to UTF-8 conversion

From: Kenneth Whistler (
Date: Wed Dec 10 1997 - 19:21:08 EST

> Does anyone out there know the difference between UTF-2
> (Unicode std 1.0 I believe) and UTF-8? If you are aware of a
> program that converts files in UTF-8 to UTF-2 and vice versa,
> please let me know,

The Unicode Standard, Version 1.0, is represented in the
form known as UCS-2.

Published in the back of of The Unicode Standard, Version 1.1,
(Unicode Technical Report #4) was a transformation format
identified as FSS-UTF. That is what we now know as UTF-8.

UTF-1 was a transformation format published in the first
edition of ISO/IEC 10646, since supplanted by amendments which
have defined UTF-8 and UTF-16.

The Unicode Standard, Version 2.0, is represented in the form
known as UTF-16--which for all characters encoded so far is
identical to UCS-2.

UTF-2 is an erroneous term.

If your question is: is there a program to convert between
UTF-8 and UCS-2 (or UTF-16), a sample program to do so
is printed in the Unicode Standard, Version 2.0, and
is available on the Unicode website.

There are many different implementations now available.
Such conversions are built into the Java JDK, for example.