Re: Unicode fonts on Win95

From: Gwidon S. Naskrent (naskrent@hoth.amu.edu.pl)
Date: Sun Dec 14 1997 - 16:56:49 EST

Sat, 13 Dec 1997 06:57:07 -0800 (PST), byłeś/aś łaskaw(a) napisać:

#>I'm trying out the bitstream unicode font with netscape, and it
#>works very well on NT, but I can't get it to work on win95.

Why, it works perfectly well with me. Using Word 97 of course :-)

#>Is there some inherent limitation in win95 that prevents it from
#>working, am I missing some software, or just doing something
#>wrong? Any ideas?

Possibly. Win 95 is not yet fully unicoded, so access to Unicode fonts
is restricted to characters that are mapped to appropriate CP pages
and for whose (pages) multilingual support (aka the cpxxx.nls files)
is installed. The method of selecting by codepage prevails in WordPad
and Word 95. Word 97, however, can access _any_ character in a font
(well, some do crash the app).

GSN