FPDAM 1 to ISO/IEC 9995-3 for *international* keyboard support of the EURO SIGN

From: Kent Karlsson keka@im.se (keka@im.se)
Date: Mon Dec 15 1997 - 07:30:12 EST

(I'm not sure if this is off-topic or not. But since Alain copied his
reply to the Unicode list, I suppose it is not too off-topic.)

        Your reply makes me worried.

        On my Windows (NT 4) (Swedish) keyboard I get a "level 3" as you
describe. This behaviour I find highly undesirable, since that is not
what I want. This "level 3" is very sparsely populated with any
characters, and (plain) shift together with "alt Gr" gives nothing.
Likewise, no characters are generated via the other "alt" key. This is
next to useless! I get hold of only 9 characters via this "level 3".
And I have to switch keyboard mapping or use the char map utility to
write e.g. Ø.

        On my MacOS (8) (Swedish) keyboard I get a quite different
behaviour, which I have interpreted as a "group 2". Both "alt" keys are
equivalent and they work together with the ordinary shift keys (I stick
to that terminology for the time being...). So, e.g. , shift-ö
generates Ö, alt-ö generates ø, alt-shift-ö generates Ø. In addition
both alt-levels are fully populated with characters. This is the
behaviour that I want (even though the character assignments could
sometimes be slightly different). This is a much more useful behaviour!

                        /Kent Karlsson