Re: FW: Unicode font

From: Adrian Havill (havill@threeweb.ad.jp)
Date: Fri Jan 09 1998 - 19:23:26 EST

> For Windows NT (and presumably Windows 95), you can install only one of
> the BitStream CyberBit fonts because each one is named "CyberBit". This
> means that you can have the glyphs for only Chinese traditional, Chinese
> simplified, Japanese, or Korean. I downloaded them all only to discover
> this fact afterwards.

The CyberBit 1.1 font is the same regardless of the language version (Korean,
Chinese, Traditional Chinese, or Japanese). The only thing different about these
files is the readme/install/instructions.

However, if you're using Windows 95, you're out of luck-- it can't handle mixing
Asian languages within the same font (our Win 95J machines crash hard when we do
this) due to limitations in its handling of CodePage mapping. Whether or not Win
98 will fix this remains is unclear (to me).

Windows NT 4.0 handles the CJK in CyberBit no problem however.

There's also a major problem with it in that it omitted the Double-Width Space
(necessary for CJK), and the half-width dakuon and handakuon marks (needed for
Japanese). We've been waiting for the next release to correct this.