Necessity of a better liaison with ISO TC 211 (Geomatics)

From: Alain LaBont\i\ (alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca)
Date: Wed Feb 25 1998 - 11:05:36 EST

Personal contribution to ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2 SC2 and UNICODE at the request of
a colleague who is a member of ISO TC 211 (Geomatics)
I believe that the UNICODE consortium and SC2 have to do some marketing
effort in Japan for the UCS.

We are pushing very hard in Canada so that ISO standards should use as a
minimum the UCS for worldwide exchange of text data in the geomatic world.
Japan Geomatics committee is against the UCS which would according to them
eventually still be detrimental to Japanese. That has never been my
understanding. Could somebody with an expert knowledge of UNICODE to
Japanese conversions please make a contribution to the ISO Geomatic
committee in SC2 to reset clocks at the right time?

I also think that the Japanese exprtes of SC2 should talk to these
Geomatics experts and if there are problems, they should be solved in SC2
and in UNICODE (but so far we should assume that all this is due to a
misunderstanding of the Japanese geomatics experts and they should be
informed better).

At least I believe that when the Japanese geomatic experts say that UNICODE
is only adapted to the Latin script, they make an enormous mistake,
otherwise why would we have done all this?

Alain LaBonté
Québec
Luc Hudon <ylhudon@sct.gouv.qc.ca>)