Re: Taiwan: TLPA, verification needed

From: Martin J. Duerst (duerst@w3.org)
Date: Sat Mar 21 1998 - 05:07:04 EST

At 05:52 98/03/20 -0500, Kai-hsu Tai wrote:
> I need to verify something that might be misleading to the public about
> ISO. The Ministry of Education (MOE) in Taiwan is recently advertising a
> certain Latin orthography/transliteration of Taiwanese languages called
> TLPA (which probably stands for Taiwan Language Phonetic Association or
> something like that).
>
> The handbook introducing TLPA, published by the MOE, says TLPA is
> "recommended by the MOE"
    They should know.

> "registered with the ISO"
    Not yet heard about a registry of tranliterations, but there may be one.

> "included inthe ISO 10646 international encoding information standard."

It would be better to write to write "character encoding stardand", or
use the official title. And it definitely doesn't include TLPA. What
it might, quite easily, include are the characters used in TLPA, but
that would have to be checked.

> The handbook
> also said that "[ISO 10646] was established in 1993 and has been under
> revision, and the new version will be published in 1998."

10646 was definitely published in 1993. I have no information about
a new edition, but that doesn't mean that it won't appear.
Also, there have been technical corrigenda and amendments, but I
don't know whether it's appropriate to call that "revision".

Regards, Martin.