Re: "Eyebrow Repha" (Marathi and other languages)

From: Timothy Partridge (
Date: Wed Mar 25 1998 - 08:02:46 EST

Jim Agenbroad said:
> At R5 on page 6-39 ZWJ is used with Devanagari for one purpose; at
> figure 6-15, on page 6-37 ZWJ is used with Devanagari for another purpose.
> Both are valid purposes, but how would rendering software ascertain which
> purpose was intended?

Surely there is no ambiguity. On page 6-37 ZWJ is used to create
half-consonant forms of consonants, rather than the usual behviour. On page
6-39 ZWJ is used to create the half-consonant form of RA, namely the
eyelash-RA. Isn't R5 simply confirming that RA does have a half-consonant
form and showing what it looks like?

Quote with emphasis added:
R5 If the dead consonant RAd precedes ZERO WIDTH JOINER, then the
   *half consonant* form RAh, known as eyelash-RA, is used instead of
   RAsup. This form of RA is commonly used in writing certain languages
   such as Marathi.

Tim Partridge. Any opinions expressed are mine only and not those of my employer