RE: non-latin hyphenation?

From: Hohberger, Clive P. (CPHOHBER@zebra.com)
Date: Tue Apr 07 1998 - 07:18:17 EDT

        [Hohberger, Clive P.]
        I remember that back about 30 years ago, when letters were typed
rather than
        word processed, it was considered stylish in typing Italian to
keep straight
        right margins. In order to do this, if a word had to be broken
across a line,
        the last letter on the current line was simply underlined to
indicate that
        the word was continued at the start of the next line.

        The underline character served the function of a hyphen. Note
that
        words were broken anywhere, whenever the right margin occured,
        with no attempt to break at syllables.

        This always seemed to me to emminently sensible way to write
        text with a typewriter, especially when non-proportional spaced
        fonts were used, as it gave straight right margins with little
effort.

        Clive Hohberger
        Zebra technologies Corporation