Re: Euro in 8859 character sets

From: Tom Garland SMI European Software Centre (Tom.Garland@Ireland.Sun.COM)
Date: Fri Apr 17 1998 - 07:10:08 EDT

> From: brodnik@pegam.fmf.uni-lj.si (Andrej Brodnik)
> To: Unicode List <unicode@unicode.org>
> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 03:06:15 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: Re: Euro in 8859 character sets
>
> > From: Jonathan Rosenne <rosenne@netvision.net.il>
> > Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 23:51:35 -0700 (PDT)
> > Subject: Euro in 8859 character sets
> >
> > I understand why the Euro sign is wanted in Latin-1, Latin-0 and Greek, but
> > I am not certain it is needed in other parts, such as Cyrillic, Arabic and
> > Hebrew.
> >
> > I have no objection to vendors adding the sign to their private codes. The
> > question is should it be added to the standards?

Vendors are adding the sign to their private codes because customers need it. If
customers need it it should also be added to the equivalent 8 bit standards to
facilitate those who use standard 8 bit codesets in their systems. Also, just
because you are not an EU member (or potential member) doesn't mean you will not
need to input/display and print the Euro. The Euro symbol should probably be
added to all Latin parts to facilitate those in the 8 bit world who wish to use
it.

Everyone, of course, should move to Unicode and we'd have none of this.

(easier said than done I know).