Re: Hawaiian language site goes Unicode

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Thu Jun 04 1998 - 05:35:05 EDT

Ken Whistler uvaaca:

>> I pointed out the two possible encodings they could use:
>
>> U+2018 LEFT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
>> U+02BB MODIFIER LETTER TURNED COMMA
>
>> and noted that U+2018 is intended for punctuation, whereas U+02BB
>> is intended for letters of alphabets, as for Hawaiian.
>
>> At the same time, I pointed out that U+2018 is more widely
>> implemented in Unicode fonts than U+02BB, so that it might be
>> a better choice for easiest display of Hawaiian data, despite
>> the fact that it is intended for punctuation.

This would be like using U+0027 for punctuation, which is generally less
preferable to using U+2018.

The correct character to use for Hawai'ian words would be U+02BB. That is
why the character is there.

--
Michael Everson, Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Guthán: +353 1 478-2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478-2597 (by arrangement)