Re: Outlook & the Euro

From: Erik van der Poel (erik@netscape.com)
Date: Mon Jun 22 1998 - 14:37:05 EDT

Hi Alain,

Alain wrote:

> It would be nice if for email, in order to communicate with standard 8-bit
> environments, there be also an *option* so that translation from and to
> Latin-9 (ISO/IEC 8859-15) be done by Microsoft products.
>
> This would allow communicating in a standard way in the 8-bit realm outside
> of Windows environments. Otherwise there is indeed a character loss in
> other environments, and the characters lost are less useful than those in
> the C1 space used by 1252

I don't understand this. Are you saying that there would be a character
loss in the C1 area (0x80-0x9f)? If so, under which circumstances would
these be lost?

Or are you saying that even if a user agent sends mail with a charset
label that says "windows-1252", the receiver will not be able to
understand it?

> which is, btw, a nice and avant-gardiste
> character set since the very time it was available (but it remains private,
> with interchange problems for the external word -- other private
> environments also take advantage, in general, of standard interchange).
>
> What I suggest is not a revolution, just a sensible option for those who
> wish so (and it should perhaps be a default in French, Finnish and
> euro-currency aware 8-bit environments which are concerned all the time).

ISO 8859-15 will probably be implemented by a number of vendors, but it
will take some time until a large percentage of the users start using
those versions. Until then, it might be wise *not* to make 8859-15 the
default when sending mail.

Erik