Re: Outlook & the Euro

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Mon Jun 22 1998 - 17:01:20 EDT

Erik van der Poel wrote:

> I don't understand this. Are you saying that there would be a character
> loss in the C1 area (0x80-0x9f)? If so, under which circumstances would
> these be lost?
>
> Or are you saying that even if a user agent sends mail with a charset
> label that says "windows-1252", the receiver will not be able to
> understand it?

I think that is what he means, yes. Therefore, it would be
advantageous to translate Windows-1252 to Latin-9 when possible,
rather than translating to Latin-1 and having to glitch (or
transmit invalid characters from the C1 range) on
EURO SIGN, CAPITAL/SMALL S WITH CARON, CAPITAL/SMALL Z WITH CARON,
CAPITAL/SMALL LIGATURE OE, CAPITAL Y WITH DIAERESIS.

> ISO 8859-15 will probably be implemented by a number of vendors, but it
> will take some time until a large percentage of the users start using
> those versions. Until then, it might be wise *not* to make 8859-15 the
> default when sending mail.

Indeed. But even sending 8859-15 blindly is probably better
than sending Windows-1252 blindly. (Of course, there is no
issue if only Latin-1/Latin-9/Windows-1252 intersection characters
are used, i.e. none of the above-listed, nor CURRENCY SIGN, BROKEN BAR,
(spacing) DIAERESIS, (spacing) ACUTE ACCENT, (spacing) CEDILLA,
the VULGAR FRACTIONs.