Re: Unicode-capable browser

From: Misha Wolf (misha.wolf@reuters.com)
Date: Thu Jul 23 1998 - 14:42:14 EDT

Trevor Clarke wrote:

> We are developers of SGML/multimedia based database technology, and are
> about to implement Unicode support.
>
> I have been examining your UTF-8 HTML4 page at
>
> <http://www.reuters.com/unicode/iuc10/x-utf8.html>
>
> with Netscape 4 and Internet Explorer 4 on Windows NT using Lucida Sans
> Unicode as our Unicode font preference.
>
> I have two questions about the accessibility of this page:
>
> 1. Is a UTF-8 font that includes Arabic and the CJK currently available?

There is no such thing as a "UTF-8 font". I belive that there are fonts
that are referred to by their suppliers as "Unicode fonts". To display
these pages, you do *not* need such a font. What you do need is:

   1. One or more fonts, between them covering the required glyphs.

   2. A combination of browser and OS able to make use of these fonts.

For Windows-based platforms, a range of fonts is downloadable from
the Microsoft Web site. Their use is not limited to IE. For example,
NC uses them successfully.

> 2. Is a Unicode-capable browser that can view this page correctly
> currently available?

I can think of at least four that will do almost all the languages
correctly:

   IE 4.0
   NC 4.0
   Alis' Tango
   Mosaic

I'm not sure whether any of them will do the lot.

> I thank you for taking the time to respond to these two Unicode questions.
>
> Trevor Clarke
>
> Multimedia Data Systems
> RMIT University

  Misha Wolf Email: misha.wolf@reuters.com 85 Fleet Street
  Standards Manager Voice: +44 171 542 6722 London EC4P 4AJ
  Reuters Limited Fax : +44 171 542 8314 UK
 13th International Unicode Conference, 8-11 Sep 1998, USA, www.unicode.org

Reuters Ltd.