Re: SECS & VSECS: Small European Character Sets

From: Marion Gunn (mgunn@ucd.ie)
Date: Tue Aug 18 1998 - 08:02:27 EDT

Because I have been out of the country (working hard on language codes,
etc., for ISO/TC37!) I have missed some of the current debate.

However, I gather, from a quick glance through a mail backlog of 100s of
messages awaiting my return, that Markus Kuhn of Cambridge University has a
new proposal to replace MES-1 with an alternative (now called VSECS) which
would exclude the dotted consonants which are an intrinsic part of the
national requirements of my country.

I hope that that is not actually what Markus means to propose, but, just in
case it might be, I am sending this quick msg, for the attention of Chris
Makemson, in strong opposition to any moves to exclude the dotted
consonants we need.

With best wishes,
Marion Gunn
NSAI