Re: Unicode Conferece Papers on the WEB?

From: Roman Czyborra (czyborra@dds.nl)
Date: Fri Aug 14 1998 - 08:46:57 EDT

Jim Agenbroad <jage@loc.gov> wrote:

> It just occured to me that if the papers of all but say the last two
> Unicode conferences were available on the web, access to them would be
> promoted and, I suspect, sales only slightly effected. Since the papers
> often contain nonroman characters it would take some technical expertise.
> As an initial effort, indexing them to promote access would be easier
> and also useful. Just an idea.

I second this proposal. Speaking of the infamous "pig in a poke" or
"Katze im Sack" with regard to the $250 AFII glyph registry CD-ROM,
the same applies to the Unicode conference proceedings. Looking at
http://www.unicode.org/unicode/uni2book/u2ord.html, I can order 35
pounds of conference proceedings for 281 USD + 150 USD shipping. The
webpage does not even contain links to the tables of contents which I
believe to be seeing at

        http://www.unicode.org/unicode/iuc10/program.html
        http://www.unicode.org/unicode/iuc11/program.html
        http://www.unicode.org/unicode/iuc12/program.html

400 USD is a bit too high a price for a student, even though it is
still thriftier than attending the conferences. Apparently, no single
library in the Netherlands or Germany has any of the proceedings. I
asked the library.cwi.nl to order the proceedings but I got no reply.
By now it is already too late for me to read them for my thesis.

So far, I have only found a few IUC presentations on the web:

        ftp://crl.nmsu.edu/CLR/multiling/unicode/paper.ps.gz
        ftp://crl.nmsu.edu/CLR/multiling/unicode/tutorial.ps.gz
        ftp://ftp.ifi.unizh.ch/pub/multilingual/FontComposition.ps.Z
        http://people.netscape.com/ftang/paper/unicode9/
        http://people.netscape.com/ftang/paper/unicode10paper/
        http://www.alis.com/P_NET/unicode.conf/uni_en.htm

Am I overlooking something?