Re: S with comma/cedilla

From: Kevin Bracey (kbracey@acorn.com)
Date: Wed Sep 02 1998 - 03:50:28 EDT

In message <9809011633.AA00954@unicode.org>
          kenw@sybase.com (Kenneth Whistler) wrote:

> There are basically two glyphs: {Swithcedilla} and {Swithcommabelow}. You
> can expect to find either glyph for rendering the character
> U+015E LATIN CAPITAL LETTER S WITH CEDILLA. You should expect to find
> only {Swithcommabelow} for
> rendering the character U+0218 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER S WITH COMMA BELOW.
>
> I hope this helps.

It does partly clarify things. My next question then is which glyph would be
better to use for U+015E? My fonts that I am trying to create UCS mappings
for (forms of Helvetica, Times and Courier) have both Scedilla and
Scommaaccent - the Adobe Glyph List states that U+015E is Scommaaccent, so I
suppose I go with that. That will mean though that there is no way of getting
the Scedilla glyph out except by using the Adobe's user-defined code U+F6C1.

I'd appreciate the input of anyone from Romania or Turkey, which are the
two countries that actully use this character, according to
ISO/IEC 6937:1994.

--
Kevin Bracey, Senior Software Engineer
Acorn Computers Ltd                           Tel: +44 (0) 1223 725228