Re: Is there a UTF that allows ISO 8859-1?

From: Kenneth Whistler (
Date: Wed Sep 02 1998 - 20:36:59 EDT

Rick asked:

> Ken --
> I assume that what you sent looks like this:

[Japanese jpeg here]
(which had the correct contents, by the way)

> It appears to have come through OK here. Your message had:
> I cut the uninterpretable 8-bit text, pasted into a plain editor,
> saved, then loaded as a UTF-8 file. Was there supposed to be a problem?

Nope--no problem. This means the UTF-8 also survived the
Unicode (UNIX-based) mailer without an explicit character
set identification, was delivered o.k. into Rick's
Rhapsody-based system, survived another cut and paste as
an uninterpreted stream of bytes into an editor, was saved
into another file, and then got interpreted as UTF-8 *with
the correct content still*.

Seems to me this UTF-8 is pretty robust for getting handed
around on the Internet.

Which was the point.