Re: Fixing Two Unicode Asymmetries in case conversion

From: Pentzlin@aol.com
Date: Fri Nov 13 1998 - 08:09:44 EST

marco.mussini@vim.tlt.alcatel.it (Marco Mussini) wrote 12.11.98 13:28:54:

<< B) The second problem is about the German sharp S issue:

 - there is a codepoint for LATIN SMALL LETTER SHARP S (\u00df) which
 does not have any uppercase correspondent defined, but according to
 German language rules, you have to convert it into "SS" when you go to
 upper case. Since there is no dedicated codepoint for the "double S",
 you have to (1) take care of this special case explicitly in your case
 conversion code; (2) you must grow the string previously containing the
 Sharp S character to accommodate the extra character. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

As a native speaker of German, I strongly support the introduction of an
uppercase eqiuvalent to U+00df "ß" (lowercase German sharp s) not only
for the cited reason. While the "official" German orthographic rules do not
know an uppercase "ß", you find MANY instances of such a letter in practical
use. Look at nameplates or newspaper advertisements: You will find a lot
of "ß" surrounded by capitals, especially when the "correct" "SS" looks
ugly, silly or (as it is often the case) misleading. Especially in
advertisings
where decorative fonts are used, this is the case.

Thus, there I see a strong need for a code LATIN UPPERCASE LETTER
SHARP S (preferably in the Latin Extended-B section). Font designers
then may decide if they take the glyph of the lowercase "ß", a glyph showing
two copies of the "S" glyph, or (specially for decorative fonts) a new design,
like a more bold or angular variant of the lowercase "ß".

Also, the question is touched if an "official" orthography shall be normative
or descriptive. If the answer tends to the latter, we have to look not only
to the national standard bodies but also to look at the real use among the
people.

I am not a member of any institution officially involfed in the
standardization
process, thus at the moment I feel not commissioned to make an official
proposal. Of course, if encouraged by someone, I can do it.

Regards, Karl