Re: UTF-8 text samples

From: Mark Crispin (MRC@cac.washington.edu)
Date: Sun Nov 22 1998 - 22:03:04 EST

> Jungshik Shin wrote:
> > but virtually nothing has
> > been added to their I18N/L10N support since Pine 3.93 or so.

That is simply not true. Pine 3.9x had no concept of I18N/L10N other than
setting a variable called "character-set" and issuing an error message if a
text has a different charset. Pine 4.xx is considerably more advanced that
that; the major user-visible change is that searching now works, but there's
quite a bit of other stuff.

Nonetheless, we don't pretend that Pine is internationalized. It's getting
there, and eventually it will be, but it's going to take a while and there are
*many* other tasks for Pine that are considered to be higher priority by those
who sign our paychecks.

I personally suspect that PC Pine will end up with better internationalization
than UNIX Pine, for reasons that should be obvious to anyone who's worked in
both development environments.