Re: Glyphs of new Unicode 3.0 symbols

From: John Cowan (
Date: Mon Nov 23 1998 - 09:55:46 EST

Roman Czyborra wrote:

> Speaking of, I managed to write a little script
> that helped me to compress the
> into one handy
> font (150 KB)
> with an amazing degree of completeness but suboptimal bitmap quality
> and bad kerning metrics :)

Beware! Distributing such a font may put you in violation of
international copyright law.

> 1. Distribute the bitmaps from on the CD-ROM
> to relieve the server

Those fonts don't belong to
> 2. Add an "age" field to the unidata.txt to specify since which
> Unicode version each character has been defined:
> "1.0", "1.1", "2.0", "2.1", or "3.0"

A fine idea.
> 3. Add an "ASCII transliteration" mapping to each Unicode character
> so that it can be rendered readable in ASCII contexts

Are you volunteering to create the transliterations?
> 4. Make the names.txt equivalent to the book's charts by illustrating
> it with UTF-8 characters, for example

Another *excellent* idea.
> 6. Add mapping tables for the other ISO standards listed as source
> standards in chapter R.1 but not in mappings/iso*/

Again, are you volunteering?

Although dotless j is a valid and useful glyph for making various
j's with accents above, there is no evidence for its use as a
character anywhere.

John Cowan