UTF-8 and locales

From: Markus Kuhn (Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Nov 26 1998 - 04:55:45 EST

It seems to me there are extremely few people around, who might have
understood how the interaction between locales and UTF-8 is supposed to
work (and I have not yet managed to become one of them, in spite of
serious interest in the matter). Both the ISO C and the POSIX standards
are unreadable and practically useless here. What would be urgently
needed is a readable widely available tutorial that teaches programmers
how to enable software for UTF-8 in a portable way with locales.

May be another Unicode Technical Report?

Markus