Re: locale-*independent* vi editor supporting UTF-8

From: Markus Kuhn (Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Nov 26 1998 - 04:54:45 EST

Jungshik Shin wrote on 1998-11-26 01:17 UTC:
> I'm wondering if there's any vi(or clone) that supports UTF-8 in a
> locale-*independent* way so that it can be used to edit UTF-8 files on a
> system(mostly Unix) without UTF-8 locale.

No, there isn't. The only freely available UTF-8 editors are

  ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/editors/X/yudit-1.1.tar.gz
  ftp://ftp.cs.usyd.edu.au/matty/unicode/sam.msg.Z

AFAIK, nobody is working on extending one of the many vi clones for
UTF-8. I also do not know about work on making emacs UTF-8 capable,
except that Richard Stallman has said that that would be a good thing to
do. Feel free to make your contribution here!

The changes necessary would not be too significant. The major change is
that in order to count the number of characters in a string, you have to
count the bytes with (x & 0xc0) != 0xc0 instead of all bytes. The only
other significant problem with UTF-8 is the [] operator in regular
expressions, which currently assumes 1 byte = 1 character.

Markus