locale-*independent* vi editor supporting UTF-8

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@pantheon.yale.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 25 1998 - 20:15:16 EST

   I'm wondering if there's any vi(or clone) that supports UTF-8 in a
locale-*independent* way so that it can be used to edit UTF-8 files on a
system(mostly Unix) without UTF-8 locale. I'm aware that Solaris 2.6/7
has UTF-8 locale and that with LANG/LC_CTYPE set to one of UTF-8
locales(e.g. en_US.utf8, ko_KR.utf8) vi has no problem editing UTF-8
files. However, what I want is vi that works for the poor who have to
use a version of Unix without UTF-8 locale (just like localized versions
of vi for Korean,Japanese,and Chinese make it possible to edit files in
EUC-{KR,JP,CN,TW}, Big5, Shift_JIS, ISO-2022-{JP,KR} regardless of
whether corresponding locale is available). A quick web search led me
to NIL result. Is there any one working on this?

     Jungshik Shin