Re: locale-*independent* vi editor supporting UTF-8

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@pantheon.yale.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 25 1998 - 21:56:41 EST

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Ienup Sung wrote:

   Thank you for your reply.

> ] I'm wondering if there's any vi(or clone) that supports UTF-8 in a
> ] locale-*independent* way so that it can be used to edit UTF-8 files on a
> ] system(mostly Unix) without UTF-8 locale. I'm aware that Solaris 2.6/7

> I'm not sure whether you are aware of this or not but if you are
> a non-commercial user, you can get your free copy of Solaris 7 for either
> Intel or SPARC platform only for the cost of media and S&H charge. Please see

  Well, I thought I made myself clear. I'm NOT interested in
locale-DEPENDENT UTF-8 support in vi whether it's under Solaris 2.6/7 or
some other OS(I guess AIX 4 has one, too). If that's my interest, I
wouldn't have asked the question in the first place. What I'm looking
for is locale-INDEPENDENT vi supporting UTF-8 which can be run even
under Unix with POSIX locale only.

    Jungshik Shin