Re: Using *-iso10646-1 X11 fonts with Netscape 4.06

From: John Cowan (
Date: Fri Dec 11 1998 - 14:18:05 EST

Erik van der Poel wrote:

> However, since the external info isn't good enough, we will probably
> have to look inside the fonts to see which glyphs they really have (or
> don't have). Witness the recent addition of the euro glyph to several
> fonts. (Is that a good example?)

I don't know; it's a hard problem. The trouble is that there is
no way to tell generic 10646 fonts from script-specific fonts
which are encoded in 10646 because there's no other reasonable
way to do it (e.g. Ethiopic fonts).

On the one hand, if a user goes to the trouble of specifying a
10646 font, that choice should be respected, without attempting
to grab random glyphs from other fonts.

On the other hand, a 10646 font may lack a specific character or
two that are available in some other font, and the user would be
better off seeing something other than the empty box.

On the gripping hand ...?

John Cowan