Re: Characters changing (was Collation TR)

From: Samphan Raruenrom (samphan@thai.com)
Date: Mon Jan 11 1999 - 10:49:56 EST

Chris White wrote:
> Help! I am confused about when various pieces of software under
> various operating environments may quietly transform characters.
> To take bit one example:-
> On
> http://www.macchiato.com/mark/unicode/UTF8List.html
> the UTF-8 string for the Thai character cho ching is happily rendered
> by my browser (Netscape Navigator 3.0) as:
> a-grave cedilla per_mille_sign
> (and it comes out on the printer like that as well)
> which by my reckoning is the correct UTF-8 string for U+0E09.

I use "Microsoft Sans Serif", which is a multi-lingule true-type font
come with newer version of MS Windows, as the font for UTF-8 encoding
in Netscape 4.x on MS Windows 95 and the Thai characters are
rendered correctly.

> When I read the email from Mark Davis 8/1/99 14:19, that same string
> is rendered by my email (Lotus cc:Mail 6.3) as:
> a-grave comma percent_sign
> which is a mal-formed UTF-8 string anyway.

I notice that his message specify
This may be the source of the problem, I guess.

> Both the Netscape and the email are running under Windows 3.11.

MS says Windows 95 is the first version that support Unicode.