Re: [Unicode] Re: UTF-8 in Linux console

From: Ričardas Čepas (rch@richard.eu.org)
Date: Wed Jan 13 1999 - 04:37:45 EST

On Tue Jan 12 13:35:26 1999 -0800
           (Antradienis, 1999 m. sausio 12 d. 22:35:26 CET),
  Markus Kuhn wrote:

> I will work on other UTF-8 fronts, e.g. the -fixed-*-iso10646-1 fonts
> plus overall stimulation/coordination of various other Linux UTF-8
> projects. Please consider yourself hereby to be fully in charge of UTF-8
> and Unicode in the Linux console. Please do not worry about breaking any
> backwards compatibility if this is necessary for a clean design, because
> practically nobody is understanding or using the existing UTF-8 console
> support today (and I have the impression that the keyboard support is
> currently broken with nobody even noticing it).

        Because ncurses nor slang does not support more than
8bits (at least till recently, I don't checked latest versions)
application should provide it's own curses functions. This is too
much for application. IMHO keyboard works except broken CapsLock.

                                Cheers,

--

Ričardas Čepas ~~ ~