RE: Metric Typography Units

From: Addison Phillips (AddisonP@simultrans.com)
Date: Fri Jan 15 1999 - 21:15:46 EST

Hmm..

You're right that the leading (distance between lines) is the important
measure in matching a millimeter grid. However, it is expressed in point
precisely because fonts are. Setting 9 point text on 9 point leading
("solid") is obviously a problem, especially if the face you're using has
distinctive serifs: the ascenders and descenders collide. Stating that
you're setting 9/9 makes that problem immediately apparent. But what does
9(points) on 4.75 (millimeters) say? Is that solid? How much leading am I
getting?

Also, your comment about 1% accuracy is correct---once the type hits the
page most users don't notice. But at layout time the difference is a real
problem. 1% inaccuracy with 50 lines on a page is half a line off! Since
most software's underlying units are points and millimeters are
interpolated, Markus' comments about "crappy" metric implementations is
probably correct... and it's a bad problem to struggle with.

Don't get me wrong. I'm perfectly happy with points and picas. At least we
all have one standard. Perhaps someday we'll adopt metric paper sizes here
in the US and the whole typesetting world will be the same... (ah, the sound
of axes grinding...)

~Addison