Re: Metric Typography Units

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Sun Jan 17 1999 - 12:38:12 EST

Addison Phillips scripsit:

> Since
> most software's underlying units are points and millimeters are
> interpolated, Markus' comments about "crappy" metric implementations is
> probably correct... and it's a bad problem to struggle with.

Not TeX, though. TeX computes in "sp", which are 1/65536 of a TeX point;
the wavelength of visible light is a few sp, so errors at that level
are literally invisible.

> Perhaps someday we'll adopt metric paper sizes here
> in the US and the whole typesetting world will be the same... (ah, the sound
> of axes grinding...)

Indeed, and what's so annoying is that there's no damn reason for it.
Laser printers, even those sold in the US, universally accept A4 paper;
supply catalogs sell it, and not even at a premium price....
North America could literally go over to A4 tomorrow and hardly anyone
would notice. Except that then when I print an A4 document from
Ghostscript my printer wouldn't throw itself off-line waiting for me
to load the (nonexistent) A4 paper.

--
John Cowan					cowan@ccil.org
		e'osai ko sarji la lojban.