Re: [long] Use of Unicode in AbiWord

From: A. Vine (Andrea.Vine@eng.sun.com)
Date: Fri Mar 19 1999 - 15:57:40 EST

[Alain]
Try to filter non-ASCII from French and messages are unreadable at best,
even if about 97% of characters are indeed ASCII (statistics on some
corpuses I have)... but the 3% remaining is highly relevant, do not forget
to mention, and essential.

Let's have the sense of humour.

(; (:

Alain LaBont

Alain,

I was not suggesting that you _eliminate_ these characters. I was suggesting
that the memory storage of the Western European languages is still more
efficient in UTF-8 than in UTF-16.

However, if it's sense of humor you are looking for, here goes:

Out of Luck

A Swiss guy, looking for directions, pulls up at a bus stop where two
Americans are waiting.

"Entschuldigung, koennen Sie Deutsch sprechen?" he says. The two
Americans just stare at him.

"Excusez-moi, parlez vous francais?" The two continue to stare.

"Parlare italiano?" No response.

"Hablan ustedes espanol?" Still nothing.

The Swiss guy drives off, extremely disgusted.

The first American turns to the second and says, "Y'know, maybe we
should learn a foreign language...."

"Why?" says the other, "That guy knew four languages, and it didn't
do him any good."

Cheers,
Andrea

--