Re: [long] Use of Unicode in AbiWord

From: Alain LaBont\i\ (alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca)
Date: Fri Mar 19 1999 - 16:33:27 EST

A 12:57 99-03-19 -0800, A. Vine a écrit :
>[Alain]
>Try to filter non-ASCII from French and messages are unreadable at best,
>even if about 97% of characters are indeed ASCII (statistics on some
>corpuses I have)... but the 3% remaining is highly relevant, do not forget
>to mention, and essential.
>
>Let's have the sense of humour.
>
>(; (:
>
>Alain LaBont
>
>Alain,
>
>I was not suggesting that you _eliminate_ these characters. I was suggesting
>that the memory storage of the Western European languages is still more
>efficient in UTF-8 than in UTF-16.

[Alain]
Yes... however it is more complicated to process.

[Andrea]
>However, if it's sense of humor you are looking for, here goes:
>
>Out of Luck
>
>A Swiss guy, looking for directions, pulls up at a bus stop where two
>Americans are waiting.
>
>"Entschuldigung, koennen Sie Deutsch sprechen?" he says. The two
>Americans just stare at him.
>
>"Excusez-moi, parlez vous francais?" The two continue to stare.
>
>"Parlare italiano?" No response.
>
>"Hablan ustedes espanol?" Still nothing.
>
>The Swiss guy drives off, extremely disgusted.
>
>The first American turns to the second and says, "Y'know, maybe we
>should learn a foreign language...."
>
>"Why?" says the other, "That guy knew four languages, and it didn't
>do him any good."
>
>Cheers,
>Andrea
>--
>Andrea Vine
>Sun Internet Mail Server i18n architect
>avine@eng.sun.com
>Remember: stressed is desserts spelled backwards.

[Andrea]
To complete it, seen in a little (cartoon) book in Japan last week:

A gaijin (foreigner) tries to speak Japanese and nobody understands...

The morale of the story, according to this book:
"Gaijins are convinced that Japanese do not undertand the Japanese
language". (;

Btw the same can be said of many Americans trying to speak French, they are
convinced that French speakers do not understand French... (:

I guess the same can be said reciprocally for many French speakers trying
to speak English, and it is probably applicable to many couples of
languages which have so different sounds.

Looks familiar... (;

Alain LaBonté
Québec