Sv: UTF-8: Michael takes the plunge

From: Herman Ranes (
Date: Mon Apr 05 1999 - 09:54:41 EDT

Last autumn I edited the Irish national anthem (with 'dotted'
ortography) in UTF-8 HTML.

The META header is

<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">

and it must be in the header section (between <HEAD> and </HEAD>)

If you want to take a look, the URL is

(Any errors there, by the way?)

Some UTF-8 character encodings are at

Helsing HR

Michael Everson skreiv:
> I need to make an HTML document with UTF-8 encoding. I'm on a Mac running
> Mac OS 8.5, and to my knowledge I have no tools which will allow me to just
> format UTF-8, so I will have to type in the double-byte characters it by
> hand.
> The document will contain, for instance, Latin A-Z, and A WITH ACUTE, and D
> So how do I do it? What (exactly) do I paste in the header (charset=utf8)?
> Is there anything I can use to actually view the result? To my knowledge
> WGL4 fonts don't have most of the characters I need; maybe NT does. Mac OS8
> has all that Text Encoding stuff in the System Folder, but none of its use
> is apparent even to the expert user.
> --
> Michael Everson, Everson Gunn Teoranta **
> 15 Port Chaeimhghein Íochtarach; Baile Átha Cliath 2; Éire/Ireland
> Guthán: +353 1 478-2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478-2597 (by arrangement)
> 27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn; Baile an Bhóthair; Co. Átha Cliath; Éire

Herman Ranes                  Høgskolen i Sør-Trøndelag
                              Avdeling for teknologi
Telefon   +47 73559606        Institutt for elektroteknikk
Telefaks  +47 73559581
<>          N-7005 Trondheim   NOREG