UTF-8: Michael takes the plunge

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Mon Apr 05 1999 - 07:02:16 EDT

I need to make an HTML document with UTF-8 encoding. I'm on a Mac running
Mac OS 8.5, and to my knowledge I have no tools which will allow me to just
format UTF-8, so I will have to type in the double-byte characters it by
hand.

The document will contain, for instance, Latin A-Z, and A WITH ACUTE, and D
WITH DOT ABOVE.

So how do I do it? What (exactly) do I paste in the header (charset=utf8)?
Is there anything I can use to actually view the result? To my knowledge
WGL4 fonts don't have most of the characters I need; maybe NT does. Mac OS8
has all that Text Encoding stuff in the System Folder, but none of its use
is apparent even to the expert user.

--
Michael Everson, Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Guthán: +353 1 478-2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478-2597 (by arrangement)