UTF-8: Michael takes the plunge

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Mon Apr 05 1999 - 07:02:16 EDT

I need to make an HTML document with UTF-8 encoding. I'm on a Mac running
Mac OS 8.5, and to my knowledge I have no tools which will allow me to just
format UTF-8, so I will have to type in the double-byte characters it by

The document will contain, for instance, Latin A-Z, and A WITH ACUTE, and D

So how do I do it? What (exactly) do I paste in the header (charset=utf8)?
Is there anything I can use to actually view the result? To my knowledge
WGL4 fonts don't have most of the characters I need; maybe NT does. Mac OS8
has all that Text Encoding stuff in the System Folder, but none of its use
is apparent even to the expert user.

Michael Everson, Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Guthán: +353 1 478-2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478-2597 (by arrangement)
27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn;  Baile an Bhóthair;  Co. Átha Cliath; Éire