Re: Purpose of REPLACEMENT CHARACTER

From: Erik van der Poel (erik@netscape.com)
Date: Sat Apr 10 1999 - 17:10:20 EDT

Markus Kuhn wrote:

> Shall I put an additional glyph into my font
> (say at 0xFFFF or 0x0000) that will represent on the screen all
> characters for which there is no glyph in my font?

I can see their point. If you use 0xFFFD for DEFAULT_CHAR, then you
can't tell whether that glyph is being displayed because *you* didn't
have a *glyph* or because *Unicode* didn't have a *character* for
whatever the user is trying to display. 0x0000 seems more like a valid
control char to me. How about using 0xFFFF ("guaranteed not to be a
Unicode character at all") for X11's DEFAULT_CHAR?

Erik